The Debate That Changed My Life

« Back to Home

Party Not Go As Planned? What To Do If You're The Victim Of A Physical Assault

Posted on

When you go to a party, you don't expect to become the victim of an assault. Unfortunately, when violence erupts, you can't always protect yourself against injuries. If you've been the victim of an assault, you need to act fast to protect your rights. Here are four steps you need to take right away if you've sustained injuries in an assault. 

File a Police Report

If you're the victim of assault, the first thing you must do is file a police report. Depending on the severity of your injuries and the actions leading up to the assault, there may be grounds for criminal charges against the person who attacked you. Filing a police report will ensure that the assault is properly investigated and that the person responsible for your injuries is brought to justice. Once you've filed the report, be sure to maintain contact with law enforcement officials. You'll need to know how the case against your attacker is proceeding. 

Seek Emergency Medical Care

If you received injuries as a result of the assault, seek emergency medical care as soon as possible. Don't wait for an appointment to see your personal physician. Instead, head to the nearest emergency room. Not only will an emergency room provide you with immediate care for your injuries, they'll also provide documentation for the severity of your injuries. Once you've received emergency care for your injuries, schedule an appointment with your personal physician. They can provide you with the continued care you'll need for your injuries. 

Take Pictures of Your Injuries

If you've suffered injuries due to a physical assault, be sure to document the injuries. The best way to do that is with pictures and videos. Take clear pictures of each wound you've sustained. If the injuries have affected your mobility, have someone document the affects with a video. Taking videos of your mobility will help document the extent of your injuries. 

Hire a Personal Injury Attorney

Finally, if you're the victim of a physical assault and that assault left you with injuries, hire an attorney right away. Many people think that assaults are only covered by criminal law. However, that's not the case. While the criminal case against your attacker is proceeding through the criminal courts, you're free to proceed with a civil case against your attacker. Your personal injury attorney will help you recover from the injuries you sustained in the attack.

For more information, contact a personal injury attorney in your area.